TIER 2: Federally Designated Centers/Major Programs Initiative
Please note that the TIER 2 guidelines and funding cap have been revised as of 3/9/21.
The SVPR and the Dean(s) will provide incentive support to interdisciplinary faculty groups pursuing large Federal funding opportunities. Grants of up to $50,000 from the SVPR (2/3) and relevant Dean(s) (1/3) may be requested to facilitate the preparation of highly competitive proposals.
In response to an increase in proposals for internal grant funding, the Senior Vice Provost for Research’s office, together with Associate Deans for Research from each college, have reviewed the current process and TIER 2 process and made the following changes. This is viewed as an opportunity to fund more TIER 2 applications, and to work closely with those faculty building interdisciplinary teams to apply for center-level funding.
TIER 2 Changes in effect as of March 9, 2021:
- To allow equity among applicants, the total TIER 2 proposal budget will now be capped at $50,000. We expect to fund most proposals in the range of $15,000-$35,000.
- Applications will undergo a formal peer review process, and as such, submissions must be received no less than 3 months in advance of the sponsor’s deadline. Limited submissions, or other programs with extenuating circumstances surrounding submission, will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
- TIER 2 applicants must include the following sections in their proposal submission:
- Why the funding opportunity is appropriate
- The interdisciplinary team members, their affiliation and role
- The specific resources needed to develop a competitive submission
- A line item budget with justification—budget items must be allowable per the TIER 2 guidelines on our website
- A timeline for the use of the funds—include here any teaming phases, red team review process and deadlines, etc.
Interested applicants should consult with the Office of Research Development (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the relevant college Associate Dean for Research to discuss their application prior to a submission.
Activities that have been supported by previous TIER 2 awards have included:
- Proposal development consulting firm (proposal coordinator, technical editor, graphic designer, production manager, site visit preparation)
- External red team reviews
- Freelance grant-writer
- Technical writer
- Graphics support
- Travel for participating organizations’ researchers
- Collaborator travel to site visit